Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Making a Memorable Mark on the Moon


What was once a childhood fantasy of exploring the moon as the comic book heroes did, and being referred to as a pioneering lunar explorer, is now possible. Well, sort of, technically. But the idea of having your name included in a database and placed on a microchip, integrated in NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (or LRO spacecraft) that will orbit the moon for many years to come, is close as one can get. NASA has been sending invitations to enlist one million names for this database for people of all ages all over the world, and the deadline is this Friday, June 27th!!!

Everyone who sends their name will be part of the next wave of lunar explorers. Those who would like to participate can submit their information to http://lro.jhuapl.edu/NameToMoon/. The LRO mission is the first step in NASA's plans to return humans to the moon by 2020, and your name will get there first. You can also print a certificate to confirm your participation. That's essentially a way of immortalizing your name and making a mark on the moon, even if you never set foot in it.

The Orbiter is made up of six instruments and one technology demonstration, tasked to provide the most comprehensive data set ever returned from the moon. The mission will concentrate on selecting safe landing sites and identification of lunar resources. It will also study how the lunar radiation environment would impact on humans. Those who join the Send Your Name To the Moon project need not worry about being asked to volunteer for the radiation experiment. They may use monkeys for that purpose, unless one qualifies to have the brain size and aptitude of a chimp, then that's a different story.


Join now. You have less than 2 days to enter your name. See you there!

Harrrrwwwwk...Twoooooph...Ting!

7 comments:

SheR. said...

Hee. I rather leave my name in your comment box. This way, it'll stay in the cyberspace for a long long time! Hee

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Sher,

This comment of yours made me laugh. I'm beginning to get an insight into your personality! And so far, I like what I see.:-)

Unless the powers of the internet shuts down my blog, I could be here for a long time and your name will be archived along with it; as my name will be archived in your site.

But I did apply for my name on the moon, and I have a certificate too.:-) --Durano, done!

Jena Isle said...

Well, that would be cool. But I'll do a raincheck perhaps on the next edition?

You've gone lighter this time. You can switch from a serious topic to a light one with ease and confidence.

Thanks for sharing.

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Jena Isle,

I'll expect your name to be included on the next round then. LOL!

I take a light topic to balance my own disposition. When I return to the serious subjects, my perspectives would be fresh and devoid on any carryover depression.

The interviews with the survivors was emotionally taxing.

Thanks for taking notice. :-) --Durano, done!

Anonymous said...

Nah, I wouldn't get a stamp in my passport. And I collect them :$

I'll stick with the cyberspace for now!

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

HI Zhu,

The nice thing about this is having your partner's name listed, then show him the certificate. Then you can say " I took you to the moonlike no one else did". :-) --Durano, done!

Anonymous said...

All pizza places of USA http://pizza-us.com/oregon/Salem/Roxxy/97301/

Find your best pizza.