Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Farewell to Fogelberg

I was raised by a river
Weaned upon the sky

And in the mirror of the waters I saw myself learn to cry

From "The River"written by Dan Fogelberg.

The words speak of his connection to nature and the serenity it exudes. That oneness in quiet accord with nature allowed him to reach into his inner core to learn how to feel, and perhaps, weep at the violent destruction of such a peaceful existence.

Dan Fogelberg not only learned to cry. He wove his deeply rooted feelings into his songs, but expressed them in a soft, unemphatic manner; making you believe that he was suppressing a great deal more but that he was controlling his emotions. His words were simple and his delivery remained soothing, helped in a huge way by the melodies inspired by tranquil environments. His songs elicited many choking moments and tears at the edge of the eyes from people who suddenly find a path to their emotional side. He evoked pangs of nostalgia, from lost innocence to lost relationships, what was and what could have been. His passing last December 16, at age 56 is akin to the passing of a friend, for he gave a voice to the unexpressed feelings of many men who have gotten used to society's norm regarding the male of the species and their emotions. His songs did not evince inflamed passions, but were rather reflections of burning embers that refuse to die.

Fogelberg was never detached from his roots and childhood dreams and memories. In The "Innocent Age" he wrote...

Capture the moment, carry the day
Stay with the chase as long as you may
follow the dreamer, the fool and the sage
back to the days of the Innocent Age
Stortybook endings never appear
They're just someone's way of leading us here
waiting for wisdom to open the cage
we forged in the fires of the innocent age.

To Anastacia, the woman he was married to for the longest period in his life, he wrote the song Anastacia's Eyes.

There's thorns on the cactus tree, there's thorns on the rose
There's thorns in the heart of me, that nobody knows
But finally I've found out where my salvation lies
It lies in the love that lives in Anastacia's eyes

Dan also lent his voice to worthy causes for the environment and even expressed dismay at the practice of democracy and equality.

They've got McDonald's in the USSR
Fries and burgers in the Kremlin backyard
Now they're learning what democracy means
Let's send them Calvin Klein jeans

Now there's people living out there in the street
going hungry with no shoes on their feet
While the government just twiddles its thumbs
And spends more money on guns.
Is this what Democracy means.

Dan Fogelberg's signature song, and perhaps his greatest tribute to the person he acknowledges as his better is "Leader of the Band"; a song dedicated to his father who was a war veteran, a band leader, and music teacher. Sons are normally averse to their fathers and fail to communicate as freely and openly as they could only hope for. The fathers would want their sons to be like them or better than they did, or expect certain standards from the boys without considering what the son's interests and dreams may evolve into. Somehow the bonds are cut after childhood, and very few re-bond as close as they used to, into adulthood. Some never even get to bond at all even at the early stages. And somehow, in a lot of cases, the fathers unimpressed facade continues to dominate the relationship despite the successes the son has achieved. Sad but true.

In Dan Fogelberg's case, it was different, and rare. His father gave him the freedom to pursue his music after being shocked when he dropped out of college. Dan also gives a hint of their healthy relationship by writing about his father's contribution to his soul for music and the stories his Dad shared with him from the latter's road trips. He also speaks of the gentleness of his father even at dispensing strict discipline.

I thank you for the music and your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom, when it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness, and the times when you got tough
And, papa, I don't think I said "I love you" near enough.

The leader of the band is tired and his eyes are growing old
but his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt, to imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band.

I believe any father would be in tears if his son paid such a tribute. The emotion built into this song is also enough to choke the son into tears singing it for his father. We've lost a voice here. Farewell Dan, you had an amazing contribution which I hope generations that follow will also learn to appreciate.

Now, I wonder what my sons will do when I pass away? What tribute would they express? What songs would be in their minds that are appropriate for what they feel about me? Would it be "Leader of the Band" too? I wish. Josh Groban's "To Where You Are"? I hope. Or will it be "Happy Days Are Here Again?" Oh no, Heaven Forbid!

Haaaarrrwwwk...Twoooooph...Ting!

3 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

I always enjoy when people blog about people who are not necessarily on everyone's radar anymore. Thanks for a lovely tribute to a long forgotten artist.

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Thanks zendenizen. I have always kept track of those bands and singers that have influenced me somehow. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Frank Sinatra,Queen, Rolling Stones, and many others. Dan Fogelberg was one such singer.

As stages in our lives change,the type of music we like evolves with it. That's normal i suppose. But the link back to our past somehow reminds us of what we were at that time and how much we have changed or remained the same.

Leader of the Band is one such song as it reminds me of my Dad. We had a tumultuous relationship such as what I had described, although many of my peers had the same sort of experience with their Dads. But now, the older I get, the more I realize that a lot of what my Dad said as true. I didn't get the chance to thank him for all of these. Much less say I love you.
--Durano, done!

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Thanks zendenizen. I have always kept track of those bands and singers that have influenced me somehow. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Frank Sinatra,Queen, Rolling Stones, and many others. Dan Fogelberg was one such singer.

As stages in our lives change,the type of music we like evolves with it. That's normal i suppose. But the link back to our past somehow reminds us of what we were at that time and how much we have changed or remained the same.

Leader of the Band is one such song as it reminds me of my Dad. We had a tumultuous relationship such as what I had described, although many of my peers had the same sort of experience with their Dads. But now, the older I get, the more I realize that a lot of what my Dad said as true. I didn't get the chance to thank him for all of these. Much less say I love you.
--Durano, done!